Wildlife conservation organizations are becoming more important as the environment continues to change and fishing activities increase. Environmental organizations aim to help preserve natural resources and aquatic life so that we can continue to enjoy their benefits.
Several major conservation organizations have been formed over the years to support the conservation of aquatic nature. Learn more about these environmental groups in the sections below and what they are doing to help our wildlife.
What are some of the major conservation organizations?
Understanding the work of major conservation organizations can provide better support for their causes, wildlife health and personal awareness for the environment. A list of environmental organizations is provided below for you to learn about further.
- The Nature Conservancy works to protect more than 100 million acres of land by collaborating with individuals, businesses and communities around the world. The organization’s overall goal is to save wildlife communities in their entirety rather than just parts of them. The Nature Conservancy values the protection of species diversity and assists developing countries in forgiving debt in exchange for their help maintaining the land’s natural biodiversity.
- The World Wildlife Fund connects with government and nonprofit agencies based in single countries or throughout multiple countries to promote the development of sustainable initiatives in poor countries across the globe. This environmental group works on multiple levels, ranging from certain natural habitats and local societies to worldwide government and non-government associations.
- The Natural Resources Defense Council is a major environmental organization that boasts around 1.3 million members, including hundreds of lawyers, scientists and various other professionals who drive environmental action. Using laws, supportive research and an extensive network of affiliates and activists, The Natural Resources Defense Council work to protect environmental diversity worldwide. Global warming initiatives, support for renewable energy development, habitat preservation and ceasing toxic chemical pollution are only a few of the projects the association encompasses.
- The Sierra Club environmental organization strives to support innovative energy solutions, shelter ecological communities and build a long-lasting legacy for the wildernesses throughout America. This grassroots organizations was founded in 1892 by famed naturalist John Muir. Now, The Sierra Club is working to create fossil fuel energy alternatives, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and conserve wildlife. It also hopes to grow awareness of environmental issues like toxic waste, population growth, environmental justice and more.
- The Wildlife Conservation Society is slightly different than other environmental conservation organizations because it partners with various zoos and aquariums and promotes education about the environment and conservation efforts. The organization focuses on certain types of animals like elephants, bears, hoofed mammals, big cats, great apes and more. The Wildlife Conservation Society’s mission is to encourage studies in zoology, produce a high-quality zoo and promote protection and awareness of wildlife.
- Oceana is a nonprofit wildlife conservation organization that targets the world’s oceans. The largest of its kind, Ocean has been effective in launching successful campaigns advocating for the prevention of overfishing and the protection of sea turtles and sharks. This association wants to protect aquatic species including marine mammals and fish from the harmful effects of pollution and commercial fishing. Ocean often works on many campaigns at once which enables the organization to generate greater success measurements.
- Conservation International focuses a large sum of its work on collaborating with indigenous peoples and non-governmental associations. Like other major conservation organizations, Conservation International wants to combat climate change, protect freshwater sources and improve the overall well-being of humans. Many of the organization’s initiatives focus in areas that are ecologically vulnerable so that it can preserve the abundant diversity of ecosystems and wildlife around the world before they are destroyed by human infringement.
- The National Audubon Society is one of the top wildlife organizations that targets the protection of birds in addition to the conservation of nature. The society has 500 chapters throughout the United States and more than 2,500 locations designated as Important Bird Areas where birds are particularly at risk to destructive human activity. The National Audubon Society takes bird surveys every year and publishes its magazine monthly to encourage environmental awareness in readers of all ages.
- The Jane Goodall Institute was founded by the well-known naturalist Jane Goodall to protect chimpanzees and other primate species and advocate for their humane treatment. The institute invests in sanctuaries for primates, public education initiatives and combats illegal trafficking. Furthermore, this environmental conservation organization offers girls in African villages access to free education, health care and methods to lead more sustainable lives.
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds began in 1889 to combat the fashion industry’s popular use of exotic bird feathers. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds works to stop humans’ careless and destructive habits towards birds. The association helps protect and restore various wildlife and bird habitats while researching bird population problems and solutions. Furthermore, this environmental group oversees hundreds of nature reserves and directs numerous wildlife recovery plans.
There are many more organizations that help the environment and work to benefit natural resources in addition to the groups listed above. You can find out how to get involved with wildlife conservation organizations so that you can promote their initiatives as well.