Many people wonder how to get involved with conservation so they can help preserve the natural environment. Protection initiatives help conserve the environment, which is more important now than ever before.
Whether making a donation or becoming a volunteer, your help and support is always welcome for environmental protection and care. If you want to know how to become a wildlife conservationist, there are a few quick and easy steps you can take to help make a difference.
What are different ways to get involved with conservation?
To find out how to get involved in conservation projects, there are many different avenues you can take. Preservation organizations do not make it difficult for conservationists to get involved. Learn how to help with conservation with this helpful list:
- Volunteer with conservation organizations and nonprofits. Volunteering activities provide opportunities to get involved with conservation in almost any area of interest to you. You can choose to be a beach clean up volunteer, help build sustainable structures, plant gardens, write, campaigns and more.
- Donate to conservation causes you support. A monetary conservation donation is extremely useful even if you cannot donate your personal time to volunteer. Providing supportive funding to sustainability ventures ensures that the organizations, especially nonprofit, can continue to advocate for an improved environment.
- Help push for green legislation. You can help conserve the environment politically in various ways, whether at the local, state or federal level. Find the Public Interest Research Group in your state or apply to train and work as an environmental organizer.
- Travel abroad to learn and support conservation initiatives. For extended insight on how to become a wildlife conservationist, try experiencing different cultures around the world. Internships can help you learn about region-specific environmental problems and approaches to fix them.
- Network and organize green events. Once you know how to help with conservation, tell others and invite them to get involved as well. You can even begin your own sustainability group and reach out to companies and other conservationists to collaborate.
You can also help conserve the environment by taking smaller steps to:
- Reduce your waste and energy outputs by using energy efficient light-bulbs and applicationsand using rechargeable batteries and reusable dishes and napkins.
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass materials.Whenever possible, try to keep materials out of harmful landfills.
- Save water by turning it off while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Turn off the lights and electrical equipment when you’re not using them.
All of these approaches and more are beneficial ways to encourage healthy and sustainable living.
How can I become a beach cleanup volunteer?
If you live near a beach (or if you enjoy beach activities) and want to help preserve the environment, volunteering for a beach clean-up event is a great way to get involved. As a beach clean up volunteer, you get the chance to collect waste and unnatural items along ocean and lake beaches. This helps various species of saltwater fish, plants and other marine life maintain a healthy home.A list of organizations provided below host frequent beach clean ups throughout the year in multiple locations.
- The Ocean Conservancy has locations in over 100 countries and numerous cities. Each year they host an International Coastal Cleanup event when supporters come together to clean up local beaches.
- Surfrider Foundation connects nearby volunteers to implement over 1,500 beach clean-up events each year in 84 chapters and 40 clubs around the United States.
- 4Oceanvolunteers clean beaches around the United States and travel to other parts of the world. The organization has helped conserve the environment along the coasts of 27 countries both on land and by boat.
- Ocean Blue Project is a non-profit that holds beach and river clean ups in different states throughout country. Volunteers who want to help conserve the environment can make plans to attend one of their numerous clean up tour events each month.
To help you learn how to join conservation projects, statewide and local programs welcome volunteers who want to give back. You can also go to a local public beach with a waste bag and begin picking up trash on your own or with a group of friends.
How can I donate to help conserve the environment?
Conservation donations are important for the continuation of sustainability projects. Sometimes, conservationists do not have spare time and instead look for ways to donate money. Almost all organizations provide a link for supporters to give back on their official websites but, if not, their contact information will be available. If you are unsure which environmental conservation organizations you want to support, consider learning more about one of the following associations:
- Environmental Defense Fund
- The Nature Conservancy
- The Sierra Club Foundation
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- The Ocean Conservancy
- Greenpeace Fund
- American Rivers
- Rainforest Alliance
- Friends of the Earth
- Earth Island Institute
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- Environmental Working Group
Donations to conservation groups in your local area are also a great source of support for protection initiatives.